Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Review 432: North Woods

North Woods North Woods by Daniel Mason
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There was some early hype and good reviews, so I thought I should read this as well. An audio copy was available to borrow, so I started to listen.

Turns out, this was highly enjoyable. I very much liked the multi-cast narration for this book. The format lends itself to more voices than one narrator, as there are different forms of storytelling weaved into the book.

The location doesn’t change through the book, but the years and characters, even the trees change. We get an in-depth view of some of the people who live in the yellow house. And some of the residents don’t really leave after dying. So, this book is a good pick for this time of year.

I loved the deep focus on the trees and the nature around the house, the apple orchard and the forest. There was a surprising section on some beetles that the text is more often found in the romance section. Perhaps too much anthropomorphizing on those small creatures. It definitely provides a new way of seeing.

Book rating: 4.5 stars


No comments:

Previous Popular Posts