Monday, October 23, 2023

Review 433: Elizabeth Costello

Elizabeth Costello Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars



Perhaps if I knew what I was in for with this book the rating would be higher...there is little to no plot or character development. It is barely a novel, instead many texts of essays written out, but put into the mouth of the main character, Elizabeth Costello.

The last "lesson" or chapter was the most interesting to me, despite agreeing with several of the premises put forth in the previous "lessons". This last makes you really consider all that she has said before, and so it seemed with sincere conviction. This is a book that will make you think, it does not give you everything. That I do like, just wasn't quite what I was in the mood for when I started reading.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts