Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Review 438: Ego

Ego Ego by Alan W. Watts
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


From the Illustrated Series - The Essence of Alan Watts
Book VIII



Ego – what is the I, what is me.

According to Alan Watts is more than your thoughts, your body. But we often distance ourselves from the body parts. We typically mean I as in the brain, our thoughts and thinking selves. We feel outside of our bodies, not a part of the world. Watts says this is image is an hallucination of ego. We are the sum of our body, inside and out, and the environment that we live in. Yes, we need the environment too, it is part of us.

The rest of the book discusses how we came to this false identity, this symbolism of ego and I as separate from everything.



I only have a few of the books from the series:
Book I  - God 
Book VII  - Philosophical Fantasies 
Book VIII  - Ego 
Book IX  - Cosmic Drama

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts