Friday, November 5, 2021

Review 268: Her Quiet Revolution

Her Quiet Revolution: A Novel of Martha Hughes Cannon: Frontier Doctor and First Female State Senator Her Quiet Revolution: A Novel of Martha Hughes Cannon: Frontier Doctor and First Female State Senator by Marianne Monson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I was looking forward to reading this book, but had such difficulty with the way it was written,  I just can’t seem to get into it and continue the read.  

There is an innocence, for lack of a better word, that seeps throughout this book. (Perhaps simplicity is the better word.) I also found many grammar issues, which hopefully were fixed before publication, but were so glaring to me, that it was distracting. (Certainly my grammar isn’t perfect, but I seem to notice it more with other people’s writing.)
 
The story also had this assumption of deep knowledge of the Mormon religion. There were words and things that I didn’t quite understand what was going on. I suspect the book is written for a particular audience and I am not it. 

Unfortunately, with all these issues I had to stop reading around a quarter of the way in. The struggle was too much for me to get into the story of this woman who sounds like she was amazing. Hopefully this will work better for others.

Please note my rating is based only on the first 25% of the book and consider that with your evaluation.


Thanks to Shadow Mountain Publishing and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts