Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Review 278: The Nature of Oaks

The Nature of Oaks: The Rich Ecology of Our Most Essential Native Trees The Nature of Oaks: The Rich Ecology of Our Most Essential Native Trees by Douglas W. Tallamy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



A highly informative book about Oak trees. The book format followed the months, although skipped a couple, and started with October (as that was when Tallamy’s book writing began). Tallamy wrote with a bit of humor, which was nice, not often found in academic writings, and this one did cite references where appropriate.

Thoroughly enjoyed the focus on Oaks, yet Tallamy spread out to also the critters that live off the tree for food. When it got to the moths, wasps and other bug-types I found myself getting squeamish. Tallamy was comprehensive.

Tallamy seems to assume that everyone reading his book has a yard, could plant trees if they so choose. This view is coming from privilege. What about people who rent? Or those who own a condo, or some property but not allowed to plant? Even we who do not own land can enjoy trees. I wished for a little bit there, for those who don’t have the backyard daily connection, or at least an acknowledgement. Also, I would have liked a little on the fungus and problems of Oaks. California has been having problems with this for years, but no mention.

Now that I read the book, perhaps I can say that Oaks are my third favorite tree (behind Redwood and Pine).


Also want to add that I felt like I went through this book too quickly, not retaining enough information on oaks. Perhaps I'll revisit the book again. 

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts