Contrapposto by Dave EggersMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I have enjoyed all the Dave Eggers books I've read before (only three) until this one. It is well written, but I just couldn't get fully into the book.
The book revolves around Cricket’s art and Olympia. Much of the book is taken with the early years of their lives, as kids, teenagers and young adults. But soon enough the years start skipping and we visit Cricket and Olympia at various points in their lives. Art is always there in some form or other.
The writing was decent enough, and Cricket was sympathetic character, while Olympia, not so much. Yet I didn’t get the experience of solid character and life that I was expecting from an Eggers book. Perhaps my expectation was too high. Or the commentary on art as a focus of the book interfered with the book being great.
Thanks to Knopf Publishers and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book. However, I listened to a published audiobook copy of the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment