Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Review 441: Clanlands

Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other Clanlands: Whisky, Warfare, and a Scottish Adventure Like No Other by Sam Heughan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book was different than what I expected, as it revolves around the making of a TV series called Men in Kilts. (I haven’t seen the show, but will look for it.) The two writers met on the other popular series Outlander. There are spoilers and detailed descriptions of some scenes in this book. When I got this book I’m not even sure I realized these two were actors in Outlander, even though I’ve seen several seasons of the show. (yeah, sometimes I can be clueless.)


Sam and Graham take turns narrating the book, and they poke fun at each other constantly. While this humor helped, I didn’t find myself laughing or even chuckling. With the frame of the making of a show, they go to different locations in Scotland over a short time frame, about two weeks, and get up to all sorts of antics. Drinking whiskey at 9am for the show didn’t agree with Graham, but Sam thought it was great. In fact, most of it is portrayed as Sam thought this was great, while Graham viewed it differently.

They rode a motorcycle which neither had done before, tried riding a tandem bicycle, paddled a kayak on a loch (or at least one of them did) and apparently Sam’s driving was a bit of an adventure as well, although driving an RV/caravan on those small Scottish roads is an adventure on its own.

What I enjoyed the most in the book is the history that related to each location. Sometimes it related also to Outlander, and that was discussed, but for the most part the story of the past was told on its own.

This appears to be the first book in a series, at least another is planned for New Zealand, but I think I’ve had enough of Sam Heughan for a while (at least as an author).  



No comments:

Previous Popular Posts