Friday, June 16, 2023

Review 408: Waypoints

Waypoints: My Scottish Journey Waypoints: My Scottish Journey by Sam Heughan
My rating: 2.5-->3 of 5 stars



This is an autobiography from an actor, which is not a typical read for me, but it looked like here it was about walking the West Highland Way in Scotland. That sounded interesting! Nature, hiking and Scotland which I plan on visiting later this year, all is interesting.

While that is the frame of the book, the bulk turns out to be about his acting life, which I didn't have much interest (despite being a fan of the tv series Outlander. I just don't fan over actors/actresses/sports figures/etc. maybe a few authors...) Anyway, there were many generic statements, particularly about the long hike, that made me disappointed in this book.

I ended up rounding up to the three stars, due to the humor, which added immensely to my enjoyment and had me getting through the book instead of setting aside. Also there was bonus material in the audio (I checked with an eBook). This was mainly Heughan speaking at the end of the each day during his hike into his phone, with that minute or two added to the chapter. We hear the rain, his hard breathing if still hiking the last bit before the finishing up for the day, the wind, etc. These were the most real part of the entire book.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts