Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Review 366: The Poet's House

The Poet's House The Poet's House by Jean Thompson
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars



This was a decent book, but I kept thinking that the main character certainly fell in with these people - a group of poets - too easily. I had to suspend my belief a bit more than usual, but I did enjoy seeing poets as characters.

The main character Carla is a landscaper. She has difficulty in reading, maybe dyslexia or something similar, so she isn't really college material. Carla is young, in her 20s, and still trying to figure out her path in life. She lives with her boyfriend of a little more than a year, and figures they will soon be married and have kids.

A job at an elderly woman's house, who turns out to be a poet, changes Carla's life. This idea of poetry and poet writers is something completely new to Carla and peeks her interest.

Soon she is enveloped in their lives and her boyfriend is resistant to this change. Their perfect love is now crumbling. Add to the tension, Carla lost her job at the landscaping business and is again forced to consider college.

I listened to the audiobook and the narration was done well enough that it propelled me along even when I was having doubts about the storyline. A bit contrived at times, these situations seemed a bit unlikely. Having poets as characters is unique enough it made me intrigued and perhaps enjoyed the book a little more than it should.


No comments:

Previous Popular Posts