Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Review 360: The Magic Kingdom

The Magic Kingdom The Magic Kingdom by Russell Banks
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Russell Banks can write. Was fully engrossed with the story, feels so believable and yet it is only fiction. More thoughts on this soon.

----------a while later--------------

Finished reading this book over a month ago, and not sure how I missed posting my review, as I really enjoyed the book. Russell Banks is one of the author’s that I would like to read the entire cannon.

The frame of the story is the author (a fictional Banks) found these tapes and he edited them for this story, which is an old man telling about his youth.

Harley Mann came of age in a Shaker community in Florida, where he fell in love, which was forbidden. She was older and sick with tuberculosis, and of course this not going to end well. It was told so realistically that it felt as if true. Good storytelling! Good narration too.

This is one of my favorite reads of the year.



Thanks to Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.

However, I listened to the book via audio from my public library. A great way to read this book. Great narrator voice!

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts