Friday, February 18, 2022

Review 300: The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections

The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections The Department of Rare Books and Special Collections by Eva Jurczyk
My rating: 2.75 of 5 stars




A mystery: who took the old, very expensive, book the library just purchased? It was supposed to be in the safe! The library director had a stroke, remained in the hospital in a coma and Liesl Weiss is now acting director. She’s having a hard time with colleagues undermining her authority and the university president strongly claiming police must not be called. Liesl has her hands full already, but now Miriam has turned up missing. Could the missing book be related?

The story has all the elements to be a great read, but it missed the mark for me. There are brief moments of “fifteen years ago” (or something similar) as an awkward way to bring in backstory. I was frustrated with Liesl’s way of dealing with the situation and it hardly got better for me with the main character. Turned out to be a mediocre read for me, despite loving the setting.


Although I listened to the audiobook from the library, I want to thank Poisoned Pen Press and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts