Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Review 240: The Hard Crowd

The Hard Crowd: Essays 2000-2020 The Hard Crowd: Essays 2000-2020 by Rachel Kushner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Having never read any of Rachel Kushner’s fiction before may have hindered my enjoyment of these essays. Many of them touch on aspects of what inspired or were the foundation of her novels. Most, but not all, of these essays are autobiographical in that they discuss Kushner’s life or people she knew. At times it was a bit tedious for me, but funny enough the last sentences in the last essay touch on this and that acuteness improved the book overall.

Certainly fans of Kushner’s work will enjoy this collection. For myself my favorites were in the beginning, essay “Girl on a Motorcycle” and “In the Company of Truckers”.



Thanks to Scribner and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts