Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Review 241: Turtle Island

Turtle Island

Turtle Island by Gary Snyder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Not sure why it took me so long to read this small book of poetry.


I do not know enough about poetry, past nor present. It feels like this book of poems was revolutionary in a way, discussing nature and native peoples, but I can’t be certain. It did win a Pulitzer prize in 1975 the year after it came out, so it did get attention and people liked it.

It feels like a book I should have read many years ago. I did now, finally. Owned it for who knows how long, likely ten, no fifteen.


It was recommended to me a long while back, and they were right, something I would enjoy, although I wasn't blown over by the book either. 

There are a few essays in the last portion directly addressing environmental issues, on how to make the world a better place, for the environment mostly, but also on how to be better humans. It feels ancient and still relevant for today. Of course the suggestions would never work, too many people are stuck in the mind set of “Freedom” and “My Rights” and honestly, selfishness. No, too many people think of themselves not of society, at least in the United States. And funny enough in discussing population in the 70s there were too many, should be reduced, now it had nearly doubled, if not more.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts