Friday, March 22, 2019

Review 20: The Little Book of Being

The Little Book of Being: Practices and Guidance for Uncovering Your Natural Awareness The Little Book of Being: Practices and Guidance for Uncovering Your Natural Awareness by Diana Winston
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Funny thing happened when I finished this book. I normally ride on the train for my commute and finished the book just about at my stop. I was doing my best to stay in the moment and be aware, yet while walking some foot pain flared up. My concentration was there on the pain. By the time I got to my car I realized I had no idea where my phone was. It's always in my pocket. But not now. And I had to think back, on the short walk from getting off the train to my car I had my hand in my pocket. What was there in my hand, nothing or my phone? I didn't know. I certainly wasn't aware. I certain could have been more mindful of the moment. Of course what ensued after was much panic and emotions about the lost phone. Definite moments for drawing back and becoming more calm. At the end of my search I had to admit defeat and accept I lost the phone somehow.

This book with all the teachings and guidance on how to be in the moment, how to relax and watch the emotions float by like clouds were exactly what I needed in those moments of panic. It was difficult for me to accept the phone and all the digital data is out of my possession, but this book helped me accept it more easily. And I say this as someone who has not yet tried the meditation practices or guidance provided in the book.

This is a meditation book that feels more for someone who has been practicing for a while and not a beginner. I am truly a beginner. Yet I did find some use from the book. I enjoyed reading the small glimpse practices. I may not be able to reach the natural awareness quickly, but this book may be something I can return to. The small reminders and brief moments may be something to start building upon.


Thanks to Sounds True and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.


No comments:

Previous Popular Posts