Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Review 16: Daisy Jones & The Six

Daisy Jones & The Six Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is out today and already has a huge fan following and tons of love, and for good reason. There is a lot to love in this book. Unfortunately, I wasn't someone who found it absolutely amazing. I enjoyed a lot of the book but I wasn't completely floored.

The book opens with an "Author's Note" which is the fictional author writing this biography of the music band Daisy Jones & The Six. It states this book is an attempt to portray why this band split up mid-tour during the height of their fame in July 1979.

The book is told as an interview style, which means lots of words and back and forth between the different characters. This is one of the problems, we are told the story not shown. As I got into the book I noticed that often there is one character saying the words for another, particularly with the two main people: Daisy Jones and Billy Dunne, saying each other's words. It started pulling me out of the story noticing this happening.

There was one point where the "author" interrupted the story and inserted herself even with disclaimer's and this section I thought was very awkward, it should have just been rewritten leaving the author out of it. I don't think anything in the story was gained by that move.

Personally I thought the story went on too long, dragged out when it could have been tightened up. I'm happy there was more than just Daisy and Billy, but even more with some of the other characters would have been helpful.

I can still recommend the book, it was fun. I loved the lyrics for their hit album provided at the end of the book. I read them before starting the read, then again in the middle and at the end. Plus, RandomHouse made a playlist on Spotify to listen to while reading the book. How awesome is that?

Book rating: 3.5 stars rounded up for the additional material

Thanks to Penguin Random House and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.



No comments:

Previous Popular Posts