Thursday, January 30, 2020

Review 106: Why David Sometimes Wins

Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement Why David Sometimes Wins: Leadership, Organization, and Strategy in the California Farm Worker Movement by Marshall Ganz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Somewhat dry at times. Good history of union organizing with the farm workers, mainly in the mid 60's. I had no idea at times the different unions were fighting against each other, particularly against the Teamsters.

The end of the book jumped forward quickly. Would have liked more there. The main difficulty with the book overall was the generalizations of what happened. There were moments of specifics, but more of that, more of a story, would have made for a better book. Felt more text book like than I was looking for. But I did get a history. Probably should have read this book in March when California celebrates Cesar Chavez day. I will think of this book during the next March holiday, now that I know more about how Chavez helped organize the farm workers.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts