Black and Blue by Anna QuindlenMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I’ve been going through my shelves reading some of those sitting there for a long time. This is another one that I got likely shortly after it was released. I loved Quindlen's writing style in this book. I was drawn in despite the topic of domestic violence.
Francine is a nurse married young to an Italian who is a NY cop, a detective. He was sexy and dangerous, and violent to her. Beat her up until one day she finally had enough and left, with the help of a woman who runs an organization for battered women to escape.
Fran takes her beloved boy Robert who is only ten and seemed to have accepted the lies of everything is okay, despite all the injuries to his mother. They are relocated to Florida and start a new life on edge. Fran, now Beth, can’t tell anyone her truth.
I was drawn in by the writing style, mostly conversational. But it’s also one of those books that don’t challenge too much. Despite the topic I’m glad I finally read this one.
Book rating: 3.5 stars
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment