Tuesday, July 14, 2026

Review 715: The Virgin of Waikiki

The Virgin of Waikiki: A Torrid Tragedy of the Tropics The Virgin of Waikiki: A Torrid Tragedy of the Tropics by Don Blanding
My rating: 2 of 5 stars



This is a very short book, a poem, only one, that can easily be read in just a few minutes of time. There is a very short introduction by the publisher which states the author delivered this poem at an event and, “It was felt that a number of appreciative souls who were not present…were deserving of the pleasure which this rare and piquant piece affords to Epicurean literary tastes.” The first printing was a small private batch, when quickly sold out there was another, then this third which seems to be the first to include the illustrations.

I am not a fan of the poem, the drawings that accompanied the text, however, I did enjoy. This was printed in 1933, so the humor and social mores were different during that time.

***Spoiler Alert: I do have a spoiler below***

The poem is about a “spinster” woman aged 40, living in Waikiki near the beach, who was still a virgin. She had a dour countenance. People made fun of her. The neighbor lady sought to change things and gave her a romance book. The spinster read it and was filled with passion at what she’s been missing in her life. In a crazed way, she goes out and seeks it. 

The very end of the book contained an envelop of types that covered up the last image, or maybe page. Since it was already opened, I cannot be certain of exactly what was hidden.

The poem was a simple rhyming scheme. I will hold out on my opinion on Blanding’s writing overall until I read a longer work of his. I do have several of those, as this book and several others belonged to my great-grandmother, who knew the author. They were in a writing group together, although she never published. The books have been handed down through the generations, with the latest from my dad to me a few years back.




No comments:

Previous Popular Posts