Friday, February 23, 2024

Review: American Spirits

American Spirits American Spirits by Russell Banks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Book rating: 3.75

Russell Banks is a good storyteller. These are three stories that are located around the same area, a small town in Northern New York state. They are dark, full of troubled people.

Can't say I enjoyed it, and usually with Banks there is a big payoff and here I'm not immediately seeing that. I can tell Banks is making a point about some of these people. Possibly the stories weren't finished, this is published posthumously.
Anyway, just my initial thoughts, perhaps more later.



Thanks to Knopf and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book. And to Penguin Random House Audio for an advance audio copy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts