Friday, December 8, 2023

Review 447: Breakfast with Buddha

Breakfast with Buddha Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars



A typical family Christian man gets trapped into taking a spiritual man, Volya Rinpoche across the country. Otto was going to drive his sister, whom he does call flakey, to their parent’s farm in North Dakota to sell the place after their parents sudden death in a car accident. Instead, the sister says she wants her spiritual leader Rinpoche to have her part of the farm so he could set up a retreat. Otto is furious but takes him along on the ride. Slowly as the days eek by Otto relaxes and opens up to the teachings of Rinpoche.

It was an okay book, it felt preachy at times to me, or maybe forced is a better word. This is not my first foray into Zen, Buddhism, or anything along those lines, so I’m no opposed to the message, just in the delivery how it came across. I do have another book, the third in the series. I may just skip the second and go straight to that one, not sure yet. In any case, won’t be in the immediate future.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts