Saturday, March 12, 2022

Review 306: Canopy: Poems

Canopy: Poems Canopy: Poems by Linda Gregerson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


These poems will certainly hold up to a second reading. There are layers and often multiple subjects within a single poem. I had hoped for something more focused on nature, while there are glimpses, these are not fully that.

The publisher’s note in the beginning was appreciated, discussing the use of white space for poetry and how an eBook with an individual choosing the font size, spacing and such, makes it unpredictable how the poem line breaks would occur. I kept that in mind as I read the poem, as these stops are purposeful, and Gregerson had long lines.

It is hard to "rate" poetry as it strikes each individual in a different manner, more so than in fiction or non-fiction. Mood plays a big part of reading as well, at least for myself. I find poetry like a meditation at times, and Gregerson's held up to that view.

Book Rating: 3.5 stars


Thanks to Ecco/Mariner Books and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts