Thursday, February 6, 2020

Review 111: Hayduke Lives!

Hayduke Lives! Hayduke Lives! by Edward Abbey
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

This book seriously disappointed me in many ways. At one point, about to quit going any further, I told myself I wasn't giving the book enough of a chance. Plus I'm generally reluctant to abandon a book I start. It's a problem I'm trying to learn to let go easier, and move on to something else.

Well, I gave Abbey some more room. This book is a sequel to his more popular book Monkey Wrench Gang, and as I remember it was okay, but not great. I think I rated it higher than the book deserved. More for some of the sentiment. Well, this one sank, and far. Maybe, just maybe, it was due to the book being unfinished and published after Abbey died. But I doubt it. The book was awful in the writing.

There were parts of the story that started to be interesting, yet I could not get beyond the characterizations of the people. It would not quit. Everyone was sexualized and it was completely unnecessary. Then there was racial slurs. I cannot believe that this book published in the 1990s was allowed to let this go. There was no reason for it. Surprisingly, I got to around 30% of the book and I could care less about any of it.





No comments:

Previous Popular Posts