Saturday, January 11, 2020

2019 Year in Review: Summation and Statistics - facts and details


So this Year in Review post will be about the numbers.

While the discussion about the books, my favorite and such is still being considered I a separate post about the data, and a few other things about my books and reading. This post will probably most interest myself and not other readers, but who knows.





Books read: 117 
including 6 partial read books.


What is not included in my totals are short stories and other short pieces that were free on Audible. I decided that those free (under 3 hours) short pieces were not going to count. Some people may count those as it is reading, but I’m good with my decision.

Goodreads does an overall Year in Books type of overall review as well. It contains mainly images of the books I read, but a few facts listed as well. The link to that visualization is here.

The goodreads year in books claims I read 37,517 pages across 111 books. The shortest being 80 pages with Walking by Henry David Thoreau and the longest being Les Misérables

Some of those pages were audiobooks. I typically pick the paperback or hardback copy of the book for books I listen to, so my page count will be accurate for the books I read, and yes listening to a book counts as reading.


I acquired 91 new books, most of which were free as advance reading copies or freebies available through Amazon or Audible. I did buy some books, particularly audiobooks at audible, but also other print and a few eBooks.

My owned and to read had an overall gain of 35 books, as I did try focusing on books I owned to read, and I did read 15 books that I got during the year.

One part of my reading that increased was books from NetGalley. Consistent readers of pg13Reader Reviews may have noticed that many of the reviews were tagged with a disclaimer of thanks to publishers and NetGalley for an advance copy of the book. My reading with NetGalley began in 2017 but it was slow going for the first two years. To quickly sum that up I got 21 books in 2017, 38 books in 2018 and 66 books in 2019. So there was more than both years combined for last year. I do plan on scaling back for 2020 with NetGalley. I do have some books still to read, as some of those 2019 books were to publish in the early months of 2020. I have a few that I missed the publication date and will work through those as well.


No comments:

Previous Popular Posts