Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Review 74: Tar Baby

Tar Baby Tar Baby by Toni Morrison
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While Morrison's writing is powerful, I find I just don't like magical realism. This book has less of that than other books of her's I've read, but the older I get the more distaste I have for it. I know it's me!

There were strong issues addressed in this book, but in the end there lacked resolution for any of the characters. And some of these issues seem nearly impossible to solve. I suppose that was the point, but it's hard on the reader. I mean, the title sort of nods to the whole thing. (OED: "a difficult problem which is only aggravated by attempts to solve it.") Morrison did accomplish what was set out for the book. Likely I should rate the book higher, I get that, so perhaps the rating reflects more on me as a reader.




No comments:

Previous Popular Posts