Saturday, March 11, 2023

Review 384: The Wind Whistling in the Cranes

The Wind Whistling in the Cranes The Wind Whistling in the Cranes by Lídia Jorge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



The writing style of this book didn't appeal to me, and I nearly set the book aside. Yet I continued on and found in the end I quite enjoyed the book. This is a translation from the Portuguese, taking place on the coast in Portugal.

The reading was slow going for me, due to the style with the action/plot being slow as well. The beginning was the hardest, and the pacing improved as the book went on. One of the reasons for the slowness was the repetition, oh so much repetition. I went along with it, continuing to read, as this is a different culture, perhaps things go at a different pace than one I am accustomed to.

The story starts out with the death of the matriarch of a well to-do family, Regina Leandro. One of the sons is the mayor of the town. Everyone is out of town and unreachable, so the only person left is Milene. She is a simple-minded woman, although it took a bit to realize this. I was annoyed by her character at first, found aggravating, later though she did grow on me.

The opening scenes take place in the Old Factory, as this is where Regina was found, and Milene went there to find some answers. The Mata's now live there, the third wave, an extended immigrant family, and they too were out of town at first.

Milene becomes quite attached to one of the Mata's, a young widower. The courtship is not a typical one by any means. And him being black means not only class, but race could be a problem.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts