Monday, March 20, 2023

Review 385: Purity

Purity Purity by Jonathan Franzen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This is the first novel of Franzen's I read and while much of the content was not to my liking, there was something there with his writing style and ability. I was pulled into this story, a young girl who knows her mother is hiding something as she absolutely won't tell her who her father is.

We get to know intimately several other characters, mostly her real father and this other guy, an East German man who turned into a Snowden/Assange type person. Incidentally they are mentioned as well, and Wolfe is considered the guy that looks great to the media. Unfortunately, it isn't true, he has many skeletons in his closet. From the start this was not a favorable character and he took over the book. In fact the book was more about him than the young girl the book is titled after.

After reading the book I glanced at some reviews, and it seems Franzen has much better books out there, so I should try one of his other novels. I did rate this higher than the content should allow, due to how well his writing struck me.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts