Thursday, December 22, 2022

Review 365: I Served the King of England

I Served the King of England I Served the King of England by Bohumil Hrabal
My rating: 2.75 of 5 stars


Likely closer to 2 stars, the book was absurd, and meant to be, but it was difficult reading. I barely continued reading, but went ahead since it was highly rated. The last portion of the book did redeem it. The author is a Czech, written during that time when occupied by the Russians, so there's a lot going on under the surface.


I read a few glowing reviews and I understand their affection, but I found the novel too absurd, gross, pitiful and outrageous. It is a wonder I did continue and finish the book, but this is one of those cases where the last portion makes it all worthwhile. The main character redeems himself slowly but surely.

It is ridiculous and meant to be that way, often where the unbelievable came true.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts