Friday, July 12, 2019

Review 48: Rules of '48

Rules of '48 Rules of '48 by Jack Cady
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's a brief seven weeks of summer when there seems to be an abundance of dead bodies showing up, during 1948 in Louisville. World War 2 is over and fresh in everyone's mind as so many are still dealing with the consequences. And attitudes are changing. This book shows a bit of how society starts to pivot. We see things like business and everyday activities happening on Sundays and how people of different backgrounds start to become accepted instead of separated. Although there certainly is plenty of racism of all kinds and anger towards the other in this book. How slowly things change, and they do.

The writing is very beautiful at times, wonderful sentences. Yet the whole book kept me somewhat at a distance. I'm not sure if it's just the time or feeling of the characters, or what exactly, but I wasn't fully involved.


Fun Note: Didn't plan that my blog post of review #48 would be a book with the title Rules of '48. Yet this coincidence makes me happy.
😃

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts