Monday, February 4, 2019

Review 8: The End of Nature

The End of Nature The End of Nature by Bill McKibben
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Last week I read my first book by McKibben, Radio Free Vermont: A Fable of Resistance and it was his only fictional one. I knew it wasn't the best place to start with his work, but it was short and after just reading some longer books, I wanted a quick read. The subtitle of that book made it more intriguing so I did start there. It wasn't an overwhelmingly environmental novel as it was more overwhelmingly local. Oh, but yes, local is part of being more "green".

Anyway, since I'm planning on attending an event soon where Bill McKibben is speaking, I thought it best to finally read something by him that represented his work. Now this book here, The End of Nature, is probably his most iconic book. I have known about this book, and others he wrote, but held back reading any of them, even held back buying any of his books. It feels a little odd to me since really I have a shelf or two of just these types of books, environmental in nature. And perhaps that is the exact reason why I haven't read McKibben before, I have these other books, read some of them, and overall thought I knew what he was writing about, what he said in his books. It's a bit silly of me I know, but I'm being truthful here. I figured I didn't need to read another writer about the same topic.

Yet, I decided before hearing him speak I should try his work. Quickly after starting this book I realized the mistake I made long ago, and kept making year after year. I should have read this book sooner. Perhaps read more of his books. Not so much that it taught me something I didn't know before, but that it was a good book. It was more engrossing and thought-provoking than I expected. I grew to ponder his sentences as well. Now why would you say like a half glass of gin and tonic, instead of a half glass of water? Probably because you would expect the word water, and not gin and tonic. That makes the writing more readable, more interesting.

This book has put together a lot of specific details and facts and made them readable. McKibben has added his own personal life in here to make it more relatable. What is most significant perhaps is his main thesis how "we" (meaning us humans, but mostly in the West) have now ended the natural, or wild nature. We have affected the change in all animals and plants with our consumption and procreation. There are no longer any place in this earth that is not pristine or untouched by what we have done. And still we do crave the wild, don't we?

And how much nature is completely destroyed depends on how much we are willing to let global-warming go. From here on out nature is being managed, much like a park is not a natural green space but a planned area designed for humans, not the plants or any animals that may inhabit the park .

It is not a happy book, but I'm glad I finally read it. I have many questions for McKibben now, as this book was written two decades ago. Perhaps some of those questions have been answered in his more recent work. At some point I shall find out.


Note on Audio book narration: This book was narrated by Jeff Woodman. I hadn't heard any of his narrations before, but this was an excellent work. His emphasis on the right words enhanced the reading of the book. I had a print copy of the book and read passages, some already listened to, some going forward, but I relied on the audio narration. I doubt I could have read the book as well, and as quickly if I read only the print copy.

Narration rating: 5 stars



Previously Read Bill McKibben books:

Bill McKibben books read later:


No comments:

Previous Popular Posts