Thursday, June 10, 2021

Review 226: The Ice Lion

The Ice Lion The Ice Lion by Kathleen O'Neal Gear
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Having read many books by the author Kathleen O'Neal Gear (co-authored with her husband) in the North America's Forgotten Past series, I was curious and interested to read a book focused on the far future.

The world building had me guessing throughout the book. I cannot say my questions were completely answered, but some do resolve as the book goes on. There is a fantasy feel to the book with the belief system of the Sealion People, which is reminiscent of the Gear’s other series.

While there a few similar aspects between this book and the other series, this is a completely different world. Hints of our modern world now long past pop up. The icy world that now exists seems to have developed with an attempt at fixing the climate change problem in the past and failed. Now tribes are at war with each other, while constantly on watch for the large animals that hunt them, such as bears, lions and wolves. The biggest obstacle though, seems to be keeping warm in this icy world. I love how women are warriors too!

Good book for fans of the Gear’s books, as this book will have the same feel. While generally I don't read series, I do make exceptions and this will be another, as I'm looking forward to the next book.


Thanks to DAW Publishers and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.

No comments:

Previous Popular Posts