Monday, September 14, 2020

Review 161: The Book of Two Ways

The Book of Two Ways The Book of Two Ways by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Upon finishing book (Sept-12-2020): I really enjoyed this book. I've read a few of Picoult's books before and this one has a different structure. More thoughts soon.

I enjoyed this book, not only did it bring out of a (short) reading slump, I think this was her best work yet (at least of what I’ve read, this the 5th). The style of this book is somewhat different from the others I’ve read, and for me that was a good thing. I enjoyed her other books, but this one I’ve rated the highest.

There were many different parts of this book, and that is like life. One aspect that nearly gave me a pause was the focus on death, it isn’t an easy subject and at times one I’d like to avoid. Yet it is inevitable and the characters take you with them on their journey.

The main character is Dawn Edelstein, who faces her husband’s possible infidelity while also facing up to her own passionate past, along with a profession she left behind in Egyptology. When her plane crashes, escaping her own death as one of the few survivors Dawn’s life is changed. Even though Dawn is a death doula, being that close to her own mortality, made her examine past choices, as anyone might.

The story is woven well; shifting from Egypt to Boston in each section, along with reminiscing of the past and current work being done. Add in the alternate universe theories of Dawn’s husband who is a scientist, and yeah, there is a lot in the book.

Despite being content heavy I felt that enhanced the book. I enjoyed learning about Egyptology alongside reading about relationships and questioning one’s truth.

For me this is the best book by Picoult yet. I look forward to her next project.

 

Thanks to Ballantine Books/ Random House Publishing Group and NetGalley for an uncorrected electronic advance review copy of this book.


No comments:

Previous Popular Posts